Friday, May 16, 2008

Gulf Coast Half Ironman

Well back from the race last weekend and it was the best time! I had to stay in my zone two heart rate the whole time so that was a bit tough given I did the race last year and had a time that I wanted to beat. I wake up race day with hopes that the ocean has finally calmed down since Friday the waves were about 6ft and it was just crazy out there. Well of course at 4:30 am it is it bit to dark to see the ocean so I am still keeping my fingers crossed, I get body marked set up my transition then grab my teammates to head to the water. Well no such luck on a calm swim, it was a bit rough out there 3 foot waves and it just never calmed down. There was also an undercurrent so you kept getting dragged down shore I couldnt swim a straight line to save my life. I was nervous as all heck for that swim my coach looked at me to see how I was doing and I broke down and started to cry, I did not want to get into that water. But I did and made it through my time was only a minute slower then last year not to bad given last year it was like swimming on glass. I was so happy to get out of that water you call tell my this picture and the look on my face.Then it was onto the bike which was the first time I got to race with my new bike and my aero helmet. It was good I was 10 minutes faster on my bike then last year and stayed in my zone the whole time which felt great. The out portion of the bike for 31 miles was great then you turned around and for 26 miles you rode into the wind it was about 15MPH head wind, which was a nice challenge on the time trial bike. You can feel everything on that bike.

Then it was on to the run, which was great for me this year. I actually ran the majority of the run I would say I walked 2 miles total. Not bad given last year I was a very good protion of the race. The race was very very hot I even reapplied suncreen and got burnt to a crisp. I was really enjoying myself out there this year as you can tell by this picture.
This was a great race for me and I placed 3rd in Athena 39 and under and I had no clue that I accomplished this. It was a huge confindance booster for me and I cant wait to do Lake Placid in 64 days.

No comments: